Hormonal Imbalance and Sex Drive
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room.
Menopause and sex just don’t get along. #amiright
Let me get personal with you. It seems like overnight, I went from being a woman who could have multiple orgasms to someone who takes a whole lot of stimulation just to get one. (Note, to achieve multiple orgasms, you must have a selfless partner. I do).
In short, I had a very high sex drive. One day, I woke up and realized that had plummeted. Sex became a process because my body just stopped reacting.
This all started happening about the same time I began experiencing night sweats, insomnia and moodiness. Combined, it was a clue that I was going through “the change”.
What sucked about it all was that I was still in my mid 40’s and had only been with my current husband a few years. I was NOT ready to give up my great sex life! But, the reality was I had zero – ZERO – libido.
One day I made an unexpected discovery that turned my
Hormonal Imbalance and Sex Drive around!
I honestly wasn’t looking for a cure. I am not able to take hormone replacement therapy because both my mother and my paternal aunt died from breast cancer. I had resolved to live with the menopause crap until my body moved through the process naturally. Knowing that this could take years was not at all appealing.
Anyhoo…one day I randomly purchased some essential oils for the sole purpose of being able to diffuse nice scents inside my home. Candles and air fresheners were a no go because of my husband’s allergies and asthma.
Surprisingly, the oils didn’t bother his allergies and asthma so I started researching those crazy snake oils to see what other things they were good for.
Turns out, there are oils that help with hormonal imbalance.
I’m not exaggerating when I say that I immediately ordered a recommended oil blend called Progessence Plus and had it overnighted to my home.
I’m also not exaggerating when I say that within three days of using Progessence Plus on my wrists twice a day that my menopause issues were gone. NOT EXAGGERATTING!
Someone also recommended that I purchase a book called “Lucy Libido Says There’s an Oil for That”. You can read more about it here, but the gist is that there IS and oil for THAT!
In fact, there are several essential oils to help with hormone imbalance, specifically as it relates to sex drive:
- Lack of estrogen production can cause vaginal dryness and we all no that sex without lubrication is painful! One of the best oils for that is Clary Sage. Clary Sage is such an amazing oil for women that I wrote a whole blog telling you how why and how to use it. You can read it here.
- Cypress is also a great oil. It helps support blood flow so when applied to your upper inner thighs, the blood gets flowing, if you know what I mean. I have a roller bottle that contains Cypress and Clary Sage for this very purpose.
- In the mean time, there is a safe lubricant option for you right in your very own kitchen cabinet—coconut oil. In a pinch it works (assuming you don’t have a nut allergy).
- Lack of testosterone eliminates your libido. Women need that testosterone to help us get in the mood and it’s also what promotes the pleasurable sensitivity in our nipples and clitoris. There is an oil blend called Mister that is great for supporting this type of imbalance. Mister is a blend that was originally formulated for men, but in the words of Lucy Libido, “Mister swings both ways.” I’m here to tell you that is a true statement! This is the only other Mister you want to bring into your relationship. And, when your hormones are imbalanced, you want him!
- Another masculine type oil is Northern Lights Black Spruce. It is one of the highest frequency oils. I use this oil in a lot of my home made recipes and it gets diffused with Ylang Ylang when I am trying to set the mood.
- Finally, lets talk about DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone). Our bodies also need this hormone to maintain a healthy sex drive. There are several natural products that you can use to help boost your body’s production of it. I have a previous blog post on it as well, which you can read here.
Other ways to get you in the mood:
- Set the atmosphere…dim the lights, put on something that makes you feel sexy, put on some romantic music (a Mike Zeto type play list is our go to when we want to get down to business).
- Soak in a hot bath together or take a shower.
- Give each other full body massages…I mean FULL body massages.
- Step out of your normal routine and be creative.
- Most importantly, talk with your partner about your needs between the sheets. I cannot stress this one enough. What used to work for you may not work any longer and unless your partner knows this, he won’t know what works for you. Believe me, he wants to know!
My passion in life is teaching women how to naturally support their hormones and overall health. If you would like to know more about natural hormone balance or the products I use, please reach out to me at email@example.com.
Live healthy, my friends, and remember that age is just a number.